Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Thankful..........

 As I pause and reflect this week before Thanksgiving----I'm pretty thankful---how about you?
I have had many opportunities to work with students that are studying to be teachers at universities across the state.  Some of their classmates are exercising their 1st Amendment rights across campus, but they were in class---learning how to become better teachers.  For that --I am thankful---the future, no matter your politics, has many people looking to do the right thing--even if they didn't understand or appreciate all the agricultural literacy concepts I shared with them, they were respectful and asked many interesting questions.

Next I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had to interact with farmers from across the state of Illinois.  I'm thankful that you let us tell part of your story.  You have an audience that wants to know more-I thank you for your willingness to open up and share with our program, that we can turn around an help tell your story--in ways that teachers can integrate into their existing curriculum.

I'm also thankful for the opportunities to learn more about Agriculture across the US.  Recently, I got to spend time in Oregon with the Oregon AITC Program.  Leaving the land of Corn and Beans, I arrived in the land of Hops and Hazelnuts--and, seriously-- in the Grass Seed Capital of the World, Linn County Oregon.   What I found was farmers who took pride in what they were growing, wanting to help others with a product and to explain what really goes on --on their farms!  I was shocked to learn the impact the economy has had on grass seed.  But think about it---not as many new homes, not as much need for grass seed.  Wow!  The economy really did have an impact.  It was the same across the board.  From specialty wines and hazelnuts to hop production to salmon and beef and dairy and wool.   I met many great people--and am thankful for the opportunity!

Hopefully, you too will take a minute to pause and reflect.    Where did your bountiful meal come from, besides the grocery store?  The fine folks at Western Illinois University have developed a map detailing who grew your dinner.  It is certainly worth a look to see where your food came from. 

I guess this video---detailing how from 1960 the average farmer fed 26 people.....and now it is 155 people.....sums it up for me.  As I enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner---I'll be thankful....will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment