Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'll just have a candy bar.....

Couldn't go anywhere today without hearing about apples.   You know it is fall--apples are coming on strong, and now Dr. Oz says apple juice contains arsenic.   Yikes!  Arsenic!  That is the stuff that the old ladies used to kill people in the classic play 'Arsenic and Old Lace' by Joseph Kesselring.  You mean there is arsenic in our apple juice? 

Where do we find arsenic? If you listened to the news we find arsenic in our apple juice.

But wait a minute---if my memory from High School Chemistry (Thanks Mr. Sullivan) serves correctly...... Arsenic is an ELEMENT.  (Symbol As, Atomic Number 33)   That is right--it occurs in nature it can be both ORGANIC and INORGANIC.   We are exposed to arsenic all around us.

Later today the FDA said that their tests showed no evidence of public health risks from drinking apple juice......but who do we believe?   Dr. Oz---a noted heart surgeon at Columbia University and TV Talk Show Host---formerly on Oprah......or the US Government..... I mean really---who do we believe?

An activity we use at Ag in the Classroom involves color changing pencils---like mood rings of years past.  We ask teachers to tell us why the pencil changes color---they typically guess heat.  But is it heat, or pressure, or moisture, or even a chemical reaction because of lotion or antibacterial soap.......really it could be any of those options--but our point is---don't just 'guess' or 'believe' what you hear---instead investigate and dig a little deeper.  Maybe questions what you hear and where it comes from.  I mean did anyone wonder why Dr. Oz announced this on the first week of the new season? Dr. Phil is interviewing the Anthony Family, Dr. Oz has us worried about apple juice...is it me, or is this the kick off to the new season?

I'm not saying arsenic can't be dangerous, but I am saying I wonder what is really the meaning behind this recent update.  Hopefully this will cause people to stop and wonder what is really going on. 

I don't know about you---but I'm not taking any chances---I'll just have a candy bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment